- Expand knowledge of, and encourage interest in, Norwegian ancestry and heritage
- Exchange ideas relating to genealogical research and methods
- Provide instruction on topics of interest to members
- Encourage the writing of family, emigration, immigration and settlement histories
- Collect and preserve Norwegian genealogical reference materials for people who are interested in researching their Norwegian ancestry.
A brief history
N-AGA was formed by the Minnesota Genealogical Society members. Initially Al Dahlquist gathered a group of Scandinavians together who were members interested in the five Nordic countries. This group was called the Scandinavian American Genealogy Society (SAGS). This organization was a branch of the Minnesota Genealogical Society. Sub groups of SAGS were a Danish, Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish Genealogy Group. We met for a number of years together and separately. Gradually each group had a meeting place, access to a newsletter and set meeting times for the year. As a result SAGS was dissolved and each group established their own relationship with the Minnesota Genealogy Society.
You may wish to download and print our latest brochure.